After seeing lots of questions on the thread for this dev build, we thought it would be helpful to put some of the answers in the news so more players can easily understand what is occuring in the dev build as far as balance and effects in the new weapon system.
- Power - Its true that you current weapons may be using more power than before, currently I'm testing with everything using 10 power per 1 damage done, this may change, but I have to start testing somewhere. There may also be changes to increase the power system in the future, so things may change from that as well.
- Shields - Yes, shields are overpowered right now per block usage, but this will be decreased. We'd like to see the power/block usage requirements of shields be just slightly cheaper than your weapons, this will put a higher efficiency on defense over offense, lending towards longer instead of shorter fights, this gives you time to actually apply your piloting skills instead of simply running an equation on whose ship is bigger.
- Range - The thought behind the 3 range values being used are this;
- Long range - Cannon and Missile systems have a travel time and only impact a single point
- Medium range - Beam systems have no travel time, giving increased accuracy
- Short range - Pulse systems have a minimal travel time, but apply their damage amount to all blocks in range, the more blocks hit, the more damage overall damage occurs (50 dmg system = 50 dmg per block)
- Tertiary Effects - These are still having their mechanics adjusted to function properly, particularly the most recently added momentum effects and Ion effect. I talk with Schema daily about changes we need, solutions to problems that come up and report bugs encountered. I'm as anxious to get them working as the rest of you. Also, since there's been some confusion about what does what, here is a rundown;
- EMP - This mechanic is for you converting weapons damage into power reduction on the target ship.
- Ion - This effect converts weapons into shield ablating types. They gain an increased damage to shields at the cost of reduced damage against solid matter.
- Punch Through - This is to allow any damage remaining in a shot to punch through a block it just destroyed to impact the next block behind it, this may occur multiple times until a shots damage amount is used up.
- Piercing - This system will convert your weapons damage into a radiant type of damage, passing through all blocks in its path and dividing its damage among the blocks impacted, regardless of whether any are destroyed.
- Explosive - This effect converts your weapons impact point into an explosion, reducing the damage you do to the primary impacted block, but additionally doing damage to the blocks neighboring it.
- Stop - This acts like brakes to an affected target. Your system uses pulses (non constant) of inertia dampening, attempting to counteract the thrust of the target ship and bring it to a stop.
- Push - Pushes the affected target away from you. Your system uses pulses (non constant) of inertia to push the target ship.
- Pull - Works in the opposite manner of the Push Effect
- All Tertiary effect blocks also have a defensive use when not linked to a weapon system.
- New Weapons Menu has been added and should make assembling your new designs of weapons and understanding their output far easier.
Thanks for playing,
After a busy night, there is some more exciting news to share with you! First off, the bug testing on the dev build and weapons combos is coming along quickly, we cant wait to have it ready to let you play.
A few of the things we'd like to update you on are listed below, these are as always, subject to change (lets hope not though!)
- Some tweaks and fixes will probably be made, but I've finished updating the config this morning. Its awesome!
- Some new tidbits being added, the new ingots/crystal blocks should be in the next dev build.
- The color of weapons (only cannons so far) can now be modified by placing any light source block directly under the output block of a weapon group.
- To help make the new weapons be a bit more fun until the Ship HP system can be implemented, I am trying out a change to how Jamming and Cloaking draw power. Cloaking will now draw 145 power per block to maintain, however, Jamming will now ONLY drain 5 power per block to maintain. This means youll easily be able to jam the location of your core during combat as long as you have an adequate power supply (which you may loose once heavily damaged.) This leaves "Stealth" ships still requiring a full 150 per block to stealth as they have always been.
Thanks for playing,
Not everyone is an expert at making videos, but hopefully this short one I've made will give you a tantalizing glimpse inside the new weapon combo system.
Not all weapons were shown, as the long range weapon combos and the artilery style weapon combos are difficult to display and would have added considerable time to the video. All combos *are in the game and testing / bugfixing has been going hot all week.
Thanks for playing,
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Q&A yesterday!
As promised, here is the text summary and audio recordings of the interveiw (video versions will be available soon as well)
I hope this has answered many of your questions. If you didn't get your question answered this time around, there will be more opportunities.
Thanks for playing,
First I'd like to apologize for being absent for a few days, some little troll let the magic smoke out of my counting box and it ceased to function. It took a few days, but it has been repaired and i am back at your service. Let's hope it never happens again ;)
Now on to the show you've all been waiting for.
The Q&A will be livestreamed on two channels (linked below.) Tomino and Raiben will be hosting the channels, they will also record the show to release on youtube for those unable to attend. The stream is starting a bit later than we had originally planned, but this is to accomodate Schema's schedule, as he will be joining us for this livestream.
Streams starts at 6pm EST (11pm GMT) and the Q&A starts at 7pm EST (12pm GMT)
Thank you all for the great questions you have submitted. We look forward to seeing you at the stream this evening.