Modding + QuickFire balance (dev build v0.202.0)
We've released a dev build that introduces two things:
- Implemented QuickFire balancing project configs as default.
- This build has been (mostly) unobfuscated, to reduce the barrier for our community to mod StarMade.
See image below for how to install the dev build.
In the next dev build, we will be fixing issues with beams and possibly changing shield mechanics to a customizable shield system (using rectangular dimensions instead of spheres. A bit like the ancient docking zones). This will enable ships to customize their shields a lot better.
Also, the build GUI will be cleaned up and simplified to reflect the config (a lot lighter since distance/bonus etc can be removed). Overall this will make building , in general, lot simpler.
In an effort to make modding more accessible, we've decided to take a few steps that don't take us a lot of time to implement, but have a massive impact.
What we've done so far:
- As of dev build v0.202.0, StarMade is unobfuscated. (Apart from the new planets scheduled for release in the universe update.)
- From the 8th of August till today, we were distributing unobfuscated builds to modders that requested it (this is no longer needed).
- Opened a discord channel for modders to communicate what they need to make their projects easier/possible. We want to make sure there's a strong relationship between Schine and the modding community.
- Invited members from our own modding community, as well as those from outside it to give their input on how we should go about supporting modding in StarMade.
- Released our game's launcher under the MIT license on GitHub. We saw some of our community were trying to modify it to add mod support, so we thought why not release it. (Schine/StarMade-Launcher)
- Granted git repo read access to the current lead ([USER=417003]NZSmartie[/user]) of a modding toolchain and API for StarMade, DistortSM. Also granted the same permissions to gabizou, a lead developer for Sponge (Sponge - Minecraft: Java Edition Modding API) who has expressed interest in helping StarMade modders.
A modding proposal based on the input we received from modders has been created by Zidane and Gabizou from the Minecraft Sponge Team. You can check that out here.
We plan to follow this document when implementing further modding support over the coming months.
Modpack considerations/proposals have been made by progwml6 and Benevolent27 here: modpack format
The input we've received has been keeping in mind the following:
- We want to eliminate as many barriers as reasonably possible before our next major update (universe).
- We want to focus most of our efforts on the universe update. However, suggestions that don't take a lot of time for us, but make modders lives a lot easier are fantastic.
- Ideally, we can continue to add/modify things that would aid in mod development during/after the universe update.
If you're a modder and would like to give your input on modding in StarMade, we'd love to hear it over on our Discord #modders-dev channel here: Join the StarMade Discord Server!
Alternatively, you can email DukeofRealms here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to all the modders who helped us
We received a lot of useful feedback and input from modders, we'd like to thank those that helped us so far here:
The Fabric team (asie, sfPlayer1, Prospector, Grondag and modmuss50) who have given us very useful advice for modding, specifically with regards to mod-loaders. Also for accommodating changes to fabric-loader to help DistortSM, a StarMade fork of some of Fabric's projects. Also, thanks to asie for pointing us in the right direction and giving us solid advice to base our ideas for modding support off.
The Sponge team (Zidane, gabizou, progwml6, jamierocks/jmansfield, Katrix and Snowie). Zidane and gabizou for creating the StarMade modding proposal google doc, putting a lot of their own effort/input and collecting others' input from our Discord channel into the document. progwml6 for putting a lot of thought into the security and specifics for mod syncing and modpacks. Katrix and Snowie for sharing their expertise about mod repos, from their development of the Sponge mod repo (Ore).
Thanks to kashike, DemonWav, madmaxoft, darkhax and Clienthax for joining our Discord modding channel and giving their input on StarMade modding.
Thanks to Benevolent27, Alendon and TheDerpGamerX, members from our own modding community, who have provided invaluable feedback and are working on some awesome projects.
Special thanks to all the people below for enduring the endless number of questions and conversations about modding:
- asie - tons of feedback about modding and considerations we should take about our policies.
- jamierocks/jmansfield - above and beyond answering our questions and giving feedback, even in an hours long voice call! Went through an unobfuscated build, giving feedback and input.
- gabizou - Gave a ton of input in Discord DMs and our Discord channel. Went through an unobfuscated build, giving feedback and input.
- Zidane - Gave a ton of input in Discord DMs and our Discord channel. Started the mod proposal google doc, which is very comprehensive.
- progwml6 - Gave a ton of input in Discord DMs and our Discord channel. Created the modpack google doc with Benevolent27, which goes into details that we never would've thought of.
- jaredlll08 - Gave a ton of input in Discord DMs and our Discord channel.
Finally, NZSmartie for starting the DistortSM project, which aims to provide a working mod loader (which they've achieved) and a community created API. He's worked with us to help bring modding into StarMade, getting involved in many conversations. He's been a massive help to kickstarting a StarMade modding community.
I’ve tried to include everyone if I missed you, I’m very sorry, we’ll rectify it ASAP :)
QuickFire is a community-run project to balance a wide range of systems/features in StarMade. This is done through our extensive configuration files.
For more details about the project, check out our news post about QuickFire from last week here:https://starmadedock.net/threads/cs-quickfire-initiative-rebalancing-starmade.31361/
- "Quickfire's configs will not work with vanilla ships. Power costs and proportions of systems and weapons are very different from vanilla, and desirable armor configurations in vanilla (i.e. very little, if any) are potentially very different from what may work well in Quickfire. Some chamber setups will need changes as well. Using this config means a full refit of systems on any existing ships & stations." - QF Team
- Community-run and always seeking feedback, suggestions, testers etc.
- We've put their changes in a dev build because we want to bring exposure to the project, so they are able to get feedback and improve their config. So please give them your feedback in either their Discord server (Join the Starmade Quickfire Initiative Discord Server!) or forum thread (https://starmadedock.net/threads/the-quickfire-initiative-rebalancing-starmade.31326/).
- QuickFire configs are always changing, as further testing and feedback are done. Values in this dev build will likely be different in a few days after this news post, a month from now it might be very different. To test the latest QF configs, join their server here: QuickfireSM.com:4242
- The goal is to eventually implement well-received config changes the community has made, provided they reach a state where both our community and we are happy with them. This does not necessarily have to be the QF config changes; however, this is the most popular (and only) config pack so far. The QF team have put a lot of effort into their config, reaching out to many different members of our community. They've been testing and taking feedback to create balanced gameplay. Ultimately, we understand that not everyone will be able to come to a consensus on what the "best" settings will be. Whether this is adopted into our release branch depends on your feedback, so again, please give some :)
Check out our news post about QuickFire from last week here:https://starmadedock.net/threads/cs-quickfire-initiative-rebalancing-starmade.31361/
- Latest config files (GitHub) -https://github.com/alterintel/Quickfire
- Overview of QF changes - Quickfire Initiative - Config v0.1 Changelog/Overview
- A more detailed document of changes and their reasons - Quickfire Initiative - Config v0.1 Full Change Overview + reasons.
- QF forum thread - https://starmadedock.net/threads/the-quickfire-initiative-rebalancing-starmade.31326/
- QF discord - Join the Starmade Quickfire Initiative Discord Server!
Thanks to the QuickFire team and all those who have/will contribute to the project. We will be adding names to this post and future ones when we get a list from the QF team :)
Thanks for playing StarMade,
~ The Schine Team